Sunday, October 01, 2017

UK Journal: Disco Dildo

[The second notebook from my trip abroad starts with a list of Michael Moorcock books. I imagine I was writing down books from the inside covers of those new ones I had purchased in order to making a wish list/shopping list. Remember, this was when finding books was a real chore.]

7/28

Might I remind you kids that we're a little bit more than halfway done? Yep, it's true. Here I am, packing to go back to the UK. I don't wanna go!!! I mean, London is cool, the Americans are cool (most of them anyway) but I'm going to miss the serenity of Germany and especially Richard and Gisela. And I don't wanna see Mrs. Lee!

I feel so sad leaving them. I feel like I'll never see them again. They're almost like my family and now I'm on my trek back to the other side of the globe. I'll see them again. I swear it. My parents and I will come here to the FRG and see them.

Otherwise, I'm just hurtin'. I'm thinking about how I'll be going home. I think I'll take the tube to Leicester Square and then to Waterloo and then take a train instead of being on some stupid bus. I'm hating being alone and lugging that huge suitcase to hell and back.

Can you get some more cigarette smoke in my face? You want me to open my mouth and I'll be your ashtray, too?

I'm on board. Not moving but oh well. I feel like writing. I'm worried about Leslie and Michell. The captain says we might not leave until 8:45 and what time is it now? 7:23. Yo momma!

[Notes -- most likely recommendations from Michelle]
The Ventures
Carnal Knowledge


7/29

Well, that was a fiasco. The thing that hook to the airport [the jetway?] at Heathrow didn't work so they sent over some steps. They were too short to reach the plane. They finally sent over the right size after we'd been sitting for an hour.

Here I am in good old Tolworth station at about 7:15PM waiting for Michelle. She didn't seem mad about the Cure at all but Leslie on the other hand?

Here comes the train but I'm not going to leave without Michelle so here goes another half hour wait. Bah, I even skipped dessert so I could be here on time.

Tonight we get pizza and go to Soho to catch an "action show" at maybe the Cinema XXX, that's what we say but I don't know what will really go down. We (in the previous sentence) are Kevin, Jim, me and possibly Michelle... if she ever gets here!!!

Today we went down the Thames. We went down just a bit and then got off at the Tower of London. Then we went to Greenwich.

[I spend so much time on the stuff that I don't remember and little on the things I do remember well like the Greenwich museum. Being a nerd, I love stuff like time zones and longitudes.]


7/30

Oh my! Soho was quite the experience! We checked out the £1 peep show. The lady in the glass booth was a bit abusive to Michelle [probably for good reason] who could not stop laughing at the absurdity of it all.

[This was my first time enjoying a "Red light district" and was a bit bemused by the idea of watching this woman in a glass-encased booth masturbate with what she called her "Disco Dildo."]

We also checked out this really cool store with many periodicals including "The Greek." Another high point of the store was the assortment of leather and implements of bondage and a wide variety and dildos (with batteries included).


7/31

Yesterday we went to Camden Market. I saw the BEST people and stores. It's the place where the real English punks hang out. Everyone looked so cool. That afternoon we went to White Chapel to hear about Jack he Ripper. Very interesting.

Then last night, Michelle and I just hung out in Wimbledon. She is so cool.

Today we are on our way to Brighton.

Brighton Beach Memories.

The weather was cold and overcast. Michelle is smoking the white cigar so she was a barrel of laughs. In a nutshell, it sucked.

The trip there and back were more fun than Brighton itself. There we listened to The Cramps. Then we listened to the Rolling Stones. On the way back we used Jimmy's headphones (which I'm still listening to) so that Michelle and I could listen to one of my tapes.

While we were in Brighton we went to the Royal Pavilion which probably would be great if they were't restoring it at the moment. And, while we were in Brighton we were charged for sitting down. 40p.

When we got back to Wimbledon, some of us went to this French-Canadian restaurant. It was pretty good. Then we went to the EF DISCO (which also sucked). Saw some pretty girls but being the un-suave and debonair type that I am, I failed to even flirt with any of them.

[Again, I have better memories of Brighton than I portrayed here. I find that I was incredibly negative about everything. Was that just me being a hipster douchebag teenager?]




No comments:

Post a Comment